Vodaphone Base Station - Adjacent to Oakapple Close off Cherry Tree Green
15/09/2014 21:04:00......Posted by Yvette Hopley
We have received the following communication regarding a proposed Vodaphone base station. Please do get in touch with Craig Horn if you have any concerns or wish to raise any objections. As local councillors we are happy to assist you.
PROPOSED BASE STATION INSTALLATION AT VF 87873 – CHERRY TREE GREEN SW, ADJACENT OAKAPPLE CLOSE, JUST OFF LIMPSFIELD ROAD, CROYDON, SURREY, CR2 9BN
Vodafone Limited has entered into an agreement with Telefonica UK Limited pursuant to which the two companies plan to jointly operate and manage a single network grid across the UK. These arrangements will be overseen by Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure Ltd (CTIL) which is a joint venture company owned by Vodafone Limited and Telefónica UK Limited.
This agreement allows both organisations to:
· Pool their basic network infrastructure, while running two, independent, nationwide networks
· Maximise opportunities to consolidate the number of base stations
- significantly reduce the environmental impact of network development.
Vodafone and Telefónica are in the process of identifying a suitable site in the Croydon area for a radio base station. The purpose of this letter is to consult with you and seek your views on our proposal before any planning submission is made. We understand that you are not always able to provide site specific comments, however, Vodafone and Telefónica are committed to consultation with communities on our mobile telecommunications proposals and as such would encourage you to respond.
As part of Vodafone’s and Telefónica’s continued network improvement program, there is a specific requirement for a radio base station at this location to improve coverage in the area.
Mobiles can only work with a network of base stations in place where people want to use their mobile phones or other wireless devices. Without base stations, the mobile phones and other devices we rely on simply won’t work.
Please find below the details of the proposed site and the alternative site options considered and discounted in our site selection process: -
Our technical network requirement is as follows:
· CTIL 149759 – VF 87873 – TEF 72171 – Cherry Tree Green SW
· The site is required to improve existing 2/3G coverage and provide 4G coverage in the area.
· The proposal is for a streetworks mobile phone site just off Cherry Tree Green. The new installation will consist of the erection of a 12.5m dual stack structure with 6 antennas and 2 equipment cabinets.
· A number of options have been assessed in respect of the site search process and we consider the best solution is as follows:
· Cherry Tree Green SW, Adjacent Oakapple Close, Just off Limpsfield Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR2 9BN – NGR: 534744, 160094
· This is the preferred option as the site provides adequate coverage, its proposed position is considered suitable in the context for the telecommunications base station. Taking into account the development’s siting and appearance when read in its current environment, it is considered that a scheme in this location will not undermine the visual amenity of the area with minimal impact on the sky-line.
Alternative site options considered and rejected are as follows:
· Limpsfield Road SW, Opposite 336 Limpsfield Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR2 9BX – NGR: 534939, 159656. This is a streetworks option and is being discounted on the basis Vodafone felt it would not provide the required level of coverage to the target area.
· Ken’s Autos, 359-367 Limpsfield Road, Hamsey Green, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 9BY – NGR: 534999, 159581. The SP did not respond to the greenfield site proposal made.
· St Anthony’s Church, Wentworth Way, Hamsey Green, South Croydon, Croydon, CR2 9ET – NGR: 534541, 159758. The construction of St Anthony’s Church is not suitable for accommodating a rooftop telecommunications site.
· 333-341 Limpsfield Road, Hamsey Green, South Croydon, CR2 9DH – NGR: 534955, 159633. The pitched roof semi-detached nature of the building does not lend itself well to accommodating a rooftop telecoms site.
· Workingham Court Farm, Tithepit Shaw Lane, Warlingham, Surrey, CR6 9AT – NGR: 534343, 159206. This option was discounted due to the farm being too far outside the search area and too close to VF 44814.
· Kingsmead Equestrian Centre, Kingswood Lane, Warlingham, South Croydon, Surrey, CR6 9AB – NGR: 535521, 159722. Kingsmead Equestrian Centre is outside the search area provided and wouldn’t give the desired level of coverage to the target area.
The Local Planning Authority mast register and our records of other potential sites have already been reviewed, the policies in the Development Plan have been taken into account and the planning history of the site has been examined.
All Vodafone and Telefónica installations are designed to be fully compliant with the public exposure guidelines established by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP). These guidelines have the support of UK Government, the European Union and they also have the formal backing of the World Health Organisation. A certificate of ICNIRP compliance will be included within the planning submission.
In order to give you time to send your comments or request further information, we commit to allow at least 14 days before an application is submitted to the Local Planning Authority. This 14 day period starts from the date at the top of this letter.
We would also be grateful if you could please advise of any local stakeholders or groups that might like to make comments.
We look forward to receiving any comments you may have on the proposal.
Tel: 07851 005034