New Bus Route - Purley Downs Road - 359
11/10/2015 22:43:00......Posted by Yvette Hopley
The following information should have been sent to residents on Purley Downs Road in relation to the forthcoming new bus route. I understand that some residents have not received the correspondence from TfL so I thought it would be helpful if I uploaded the information onto our blog.
"We recently consulted on proposals to restructure the bus network in and around New Addington and Forestdale. This also included an increase in frequency and an extension of route 359 to Purley. As a result of the consultation we decided to go ahead with our proposal to extend route 359 to Purley via Purley Downs Road. There were a number of concerns from residents that were raised during the consultation. These included the position of stops, installation of shelters and safety concerning sight lines of cars exiting from side roads. We have been working with Croydon Council to find solutions to these issues that were raised.
You have received this letter as your property is near to the location of one the stops. This letter sets out the positions of the stops along Purley Downs Road. A route test was held on 9 June where officials from Transport for London (TfL), Croydon Council and Go-Ahead, the operator of route 359, investigated various locations for stops along Purley Downs Road. There were eight locations identified as possible sites for bus stops.
These sites were communicated to your local ward councillors. Comments received from the ward councillors subsequently meant a change to the location of stop B. We examined sight lines for vehicles exiting side roads and safety of pedestrians at all stop sites. We have also agreed that will not be installing any bus shelters at this time. The only infrastructure that will be provided are bus stop poles and flags, which will enable us to display timetable information for customers.
The positions of the stops are as follows;
• Stop A = Purley Downs Road. Back party wall of 1/3 Glebe Close.
• Stop B = Sanderstead Hill. Rear wall of 6 The Woodfields. Grass embankment to be modified for bus stop use.
• Stop C = Opposite party wall of 113/115 Purley Downs Road.
• Stop D = Opposite party wall 116/118 Purley Downs Road.
• Stop E = Purley Downs Road. Opposite back wall of 3 Maywater Close.
• Stop F = Purley Downs Road. Outside back wall of 45 Tindale Close. Approximately 5 metres west of alleyway.
• Stop G = Outside 82 Purley Downs Road.
• Stop H = Outside 61 Purley Downs Road.
The route will be extended from Saturday, 24 October and most stops will be installed by that date. However stop B will be installed later, once necessary works to the grass embankment have been completed.