The future location of BoxPark
05/12/2017 16:37:00......Posted by Mario Creatura
At last night's Council meeting (4th December 2017), a member of the public asked the Council Leader, Labour's Tony Newman, to confirm that he will do all he can to keep BoxPark at its current location by East Croydon station.
In the answer he said that the future of BoxPark was in Croydon, whether on that site or a larger one. I sent him some questions to answer:
1. Is he aware of or has he been privy to any discussions about BoxPark moving from its current site next to East Croydon to an alternative location?
2. If so, could the Leader please detail the content of these discussions including why it is being considered that it might move?
3. When the Leader referred to 'a larger site', could he please detail where in the borough he had in mind?
4. Is the Council involved in or aware of any talks at this stage to find an alternative location for BoxPark? If yes, please detail.
5. At what stage are the discussions about the renewal of the lease for BoxPark, and to what extent are he or Council Officers involved?
6. Would the Leader rather see BoxPark move from its current site, or kept at its current site?
7. Will the Leader use his authority to do all he can to keep BoxPark at its current location?
On 19th December he replied:
There has been no discussion of Boxpark Croydon moving from East Croydon to an alternative location. Boxpark has a 5 year lease with Stanhope Schroders, the site owner, with an option to extend the lease for a further 2 years; lease negotiations take place between Boxpark Croydon and Stanhope Schroders – the council has no involvement in this commercial transaction. The station approach at East Croydon has been transformed by Boxpark, activating a very underused and tired space, and until the Stanhope Schroeder development phasing requires the Boxpark site I hope that Boxpark remains in its current location.
There is no specific “larger site” that has been identified for Boxpark Croydon; as and when required the council will support Boxpark to identify alternative Croydon sites. Boxpark has had a significant and positive impact on the town centre providing an alternative and complementary offer to existing restaurants, clubs and bars both during the day and at weekend; we are committed to working with Boxpark and tenants to ensure continued success.