Cllr Report to East Coulsdon Residents' Association May 2020
16/05/2020 17:46:00.......Posted by Ian Parker
1. A huge thank you to all who have contributed to the tremendous community spirit that's existed and continues to exist in Coulsdon during the epidemic. There are a number of positives that have come out of the nightmare especially the way volunteers have worked together to fight this invisible enemy.
2. Thank you to the Coulsdon children who have submitted an entry for our ward councillors 'Posters of Hope' competition. The closing date is 1st June so it's not too late to enter.
3. As ward councillors we have been in touch with the care homes in the ward and have offered our services if required.
4. I've helped a number of Coulsdon businesses seeking grants from the Council. £60m was passed quickly by central government to Croydon but there's evidence that Croydon has been slow to pass it on.
5. I was accepted as an Emergency Response Volunteer in support of Croydon residents. As such my services were and still are available for Croydon's most vulnerable.
6. I've done numerous shopping trips for the vulnerable, particularly elderly residents and offered my services to a Coulsdon pharmacist to help with prescription deliveries.
7. I was privileged to be able to help deliver parcels to Coulsdon veterans on VE Day.
8. Planning Committees have resumed in virtual format with 5 members rather than the usual 10. The first virtual committee I'll serve on will be in a week's time.
9. As a group of councillors we've had virtual meetings with the Chief Exec and other senior officers and also with the Chief Exec at CUH whose main message was for non Covid-19 patients to keep on using their services without fear.
10. Our Councillor monthly street stalls/surgeries will resume in due course.
11. We're pretty certain the Yulefest won't won't go ahead this year but we hope to maintain the Christmas lights through our community ward budgets.
12. As ward councillors, we've contributed to a pot which improves facilities for Croydon:s nurses.
I'll be happy to answer any questions at Wednesday's virtual meeting.
STAY ALERT, CONTROL THE VIRUS, SAVE LIVES
Cllr Ian Parker - May 2020