Moped and Motorbike thefts on the increase
16/10/2015 00:34:00......Posted by Mario Creatura
The local Coulsdon Safer Neighbourhood team have written to us to let us know that thefts of mopeds and motorbikes has recently been on the increase in the area.
Here is their advice:
What can you do?
1. Lock your motorcycle; don't rely on the standard fitted lock. Use a ground anchor, good quality disc lock. security shackle or chain.
2. Fit an alarm, particularly one with a movement sensor which activates when the bike is moved.
3. Fit a tracker, some models can be monitored using a smart phone app.
4. At home, park your motorcycle in a locked garage or enclosed area. If you can't do this then cover it with a suitable cover and consider using a ground anchor.
5. Use a well-lit parking area ideally with CCTV coverage, or a Park Mark approved car park www.parkmark.co.uk
1. Ensure that you have sufficient insurance to cover any loss. If you don't use your vehicle during the winter months, keep a sufficient insurance policy in place to cover fire and theft.
2. Property mark your bike parts with a recommended property marking method. Ask your insurance company or dealer for advice.
What to do if it your motorcycle is stolen
1. First check that your motorcycle hasn't been removed by the local authority. If they haven't removed it, contact the Police on 101.
2. If a theft is in progress, or your alarm or tracker notifies you, call 999 immediately.
3. It is helpful if you have a photograph of the bike, details of any damage, unique marks or stickers together with relevant paperwork to hand.
For more information please visit www.met.police.uk/motorcycletheft
Follow the local officers on Twitter@MPSSouthcroydon or Twitter@metpoliceuk