Blanket 20mph proposal
15/01/2017 13:37:00......Posted by Margaret Bird
Dear Coulsdon East resident,
The Council have a policy to introduce 20mph on all roads across the Borough with the only exception being arterial roads such as Coulsdon Road and Marlpit Lane.
There is a Council Consultation starting on January 18th to February 15th https://www.croydon.gov.uk/transportandstreets/roadsafety/20mph-areas-for-residential-roads/south-west-croydon-%E2%80%93-area-5-proposal
with a leaflet being delivered to each house. This is a different method of consultation from that carried out in the north of the borough. You will be responding as Zone 5 (Coulsdon, Kenley, Purley, Sanderstead and Waddon).
Do you want this blanket approach?
As local Councillors we are fully supportive of
Residents who have requested a lower speed limit in roads such as Woodplace Lane where speeding has caused accidents.
Of 20mph outside of schools or near to elderly care homes
But we do not believe a blanket approach is in the interest of residents.
* At low speeds pollution is greater
* 20mph increases journey times and generally causes congestion
* The Police have said at Scrutiny on 20mph zones that they would not enforce it
* Pedestrians have a false sense of security
* Present school zones will lose their 20mph significance
* A majority of accidents occur on major roads which are not to be covered
* This scheme will not prevent inconsiderate and bad drivers who are the cause of many accidents.
And the cost……£300,000 to implement just our Zone and £1,500,000 for the whole scheme at a time when services are being cut.
To have your say you will need to respond to the consultation as non reply will be taken as acceptance of the scheme
Please let us know if you do not receive the information from the Council by January 25th or if you have any questions.
If you object you must email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting PD/CH/A63