Referral of planning application for 55 Selcroft Rd 18/05009/FUL
12/11/2018 22:36:00......Posted by Simon Brew
Yet another large house with garden in Purley is under threat from developers, this time at 55 Selcroft Rd, which is right next door to #51 & #53. Despite strong objections from me and dozens of local residents, 51 & 53 were both approved recently for replacement by blocks of 7-9 flats, and I fear that 55 is destined for the same fate. Here's what I said in my planning objection and referral:
I object to this application for the following reasons:
1. This application constitutes gross overdevelopment of a site currently occupied by a single family home, particularly given the many other consented schemes in the immediate area. The new building is about 50% larger by volume than the current one.
2. The presence of no less than FIVE light-wells (including one shared light-well) indicates a desperate attempt to squeeze as many flats as possible into a tiny space, and screening of the lightwells by hedges will substantially reduce the amount of light that they provide.
3. This application glosses over the fact that the immediate neighbour 53 Selcroft Rd, & its neighbour 51 Selcroft Rd are already consented for very similar blocks of flats to the current application. This application fails to take into account the cumulative impact of three blocks of flats immediately adjacent to each other in a previously peaceful residential street, and is therefore contrary to policy DM10.1.
4. The presence of a third block of flats immediately adjacent to two others would constitute a significant change to the local environment, and this application would therefore be out of keeping with the local area, and is thus contrary to Croydon Plan policy.
5. D&A statement para 5.8 says: Londoners should have a genuine choice of homes that they can afford and which meet their requirements for assorted sizes and types of dwellings in the highest quality environments.
This development does not significantly increase the choice of homes as there are plenty of homes of this type already available in the buildings immediately next door: this development actually REDUCES the choice of homes by removing one more decent family home with garden from the local housing market.
6. Para 5.9: Park and Ride schemes are totally irrelevant to this application.
7. Para 6.5: Tenure: Given that there is no lift, most of the new flats are NOT suitable for downsizers or the elderly. A lift is dismissed as causing unnecessary service charges for new residents, yet without a lift, the upper floor flats are totally unsuitable for the some of their target residents. The level of service charges is NOT a material planning consideration.
8. Para 6.6: Why refer to Purley Way? This is a cut and paste planning application which bears no relationship to the real transport issues at this particular site.
9. Para 7: The calculation of the CIL value is not a material planning application.
10. The bicycle store is a considerable distance from the vehicle entrance, and up or down several steps which will be extremely inconvenient for the long-suffering owners; the bike store should be relocated.
11. The parking survey document says that it takes account of the development at 53 & 55 Selcroft Rd, but it DOESN’T take account of the consented scheme at #51. This makes the whole document irrelevant. A new parking survey should be undertaken before this application is considered.
Let's see what happens...