Surrey Street - Notes
10/01/2017 22:31:00......Posted by Helen Pollard
Here are my notes from the Scrutiny Meeting 10th January 2017 where Surrey Street market public realm improvements were discussed.
· How much money has been set aside for the public realm improvements? Where is this from and is it likely to increase?
I didn’t ask this question because Cllr Watson covered it in his commentary - £500k capital and half s106 match funding
· Market benchmarking. London Street Trading Benchmarking Group. The Council has not been engaging much with this group and I believe there is a lot to be gained from learning about other markets in London. I asked that the Council becomes more involved.
No answer to this
· Who was invited to the public meeting about Surrey Street on 12th January? I wasn't and I have not found anyone who was?
This was answered in Cllr Watson’s commentary. It was clear that the meeting on 12th Jan is aimed at stall holders and local businesses. They conceded that residents can come if they like but it will be a bit boring as it is about the nuts and bolts of the public realm improvements.
· Access for residents? When can they have deliveries?
Apparently they have talked to residents about this but I’m not aware of how or when.
· Residents have put a lot of work into this but their views seem to have been ignored. What about the signage over the entrance to the market?
Cllr Watson pointed out that there are practical considerations that limit what we can deliver in terms of signage. He claims that residents have been consulted. They certainly have not been consulted about the designs for Surrey Street because the first visuals were only available today. They want to start work in February.
Comments on plans from Cllr Watson. Notes about the planned changes for Surrey Street:
· Improve lighting – lighting under the bridge
· More space between stalls
· Public art
· Issues of how emergency services will access street
· More wayfinding signs
· Want new Sunday market and evening markets
· Free wifi in the market
· Level carriageway New trader power facilities
· Colour on air conditioning units
· Lighting for building facades - need to get permission from property owners
· More uniform stalls that look better overall
· Offer businesses the opportunity to try out the market e.g. from £15/stall on Sundays.
· More bars being planned for Surrey Street
Public realm works will start by end of Feb. Couldn't give completion dates. Aim to complete in 6-8 weeks.
Cllr Bonner concerned as likely to be delays in the project.
Cllr Watson talks about how to attract more people to the market - but doesn't involve residents!