Under threat from Croydon’s Labour Council, which has failed to provide detailed evidence for the retention of a Local Green Space policy in the Croydon Local Plan.
Across the borough, we have heard your concerns as Labour’s Local Plan has left 31 of our green spaces and parks with no local protection from development (the 31 are listed in the postscript).
Croydon’s Labour Council have made it very clear that, as they over intensify development across our borough, our vital green spaces are under threat and disappearing.
Brick by Brick, the council’s controversial in-house development ‘company', has plans which are already destroying much loved green spaces in Auckland Rise, Sylvan Hill, Longheath Gardens, Tollgate, Kingsdown Avenue, Tollers Lane and Heathfield Gardens.
With a record like that, and the hoardings already going up in Boulogne Road Playground, this Labour Council has shown it simply cannot be trusted with our parks and green spaces.
At a time when our population is expanding, our green spaces are going to be even more important for health and wellbeing.
We are appalled at the way that Labour is riding roughshod over the views of local residents. Our green spaces are simply not safe whilst they are in charge of Croydon Council.
Croydon Conservatives pledge not to develop any of the 31 parks and managed green spaces that are in Council ownership which find their protection removed.
You can read our manifesto for a Council that is on your side in full here.
If you are similarly dismayed by the actions of this failing Labour Council please sign our petition at www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/saveourgreenspaces, and sharing this with people you know.
The 31 Local Green Spaces which have no other designation on the Policies Map of the Croydon Local Plan and would be subject to Paragraph 74 of the NPPF and Policy 7.18B of the London Plan for protection:
- All Saints Graveyard, Sanderstead
- Allders Way Playground, Purley Oaks and Riddlesdown
- Apsley Road Playground, Woodside
- Ashen Grove, Selsdon Vale and Forestdale
- Boulogne Road Playground, Selhurst
- Bourne Park, Kenley
- Canterbury Road Recreation Ground, Broad Green
- Dartnell Road Recreation Ground, Addiscombe West
- Former Godstone Road allotments, in Kenley
- Green Lane Sports Ground, Norbury Park
- Higher Drive Recreation Ground, Kenley
- King George's Field Recreation Ground, Selhurst
- Land at Castle Hill Avenue (Castle Hill Avenue Playground), New Addington North
- Land north of Honeysuckle Gardens, Shirley North
- Little Road Playground, Addiscombe West
- Normanton Meadows, South Croydon
- Northwood Road Recreation Ground (Northwood Playground), Norbury Park
- Pollards Hill triangle, Norbury and Pollards Hill
- Roke Playspace, Kenley
- Rotary Field, Purley Oaks and Riddlesdown
- Selsdon Recreation Ground, Selsdon and Addington Village
- Shirley Oaks playing field and wood, Shirley North
- Shirley Recreation Ground, Shirley North
- South Croydon Recreation Ground, South Croydon
- St James' Church, Fairfield (Croydon Town Centre)
- St John's Church Memorial Garden (east), Fairfield (Croydon Town Centre)
- St John's Church Memorial Garden (north), Fairfield (Croydon Town Centre)
- Stambourne Woodland Walk, Crystal Palace and Upper Norwood
- Temple Avenue Copse, Shirley South
- Trumble Gardens, Bensham Manor